22 April 2023

Hubby's 80th Birthday

 Hi Everyone, it was my dear hubby's 80th birthday on the 20th, so this is a picture heavy post with a few piccies of our day out included.
 
I went all out and decided on making a many layer box card, after seeing it on the MSC blog. I changed the colour mix, to make it more masculine. 
 
After taking all the pieces into my Silhouette, I made them larger, making the card approx. 215mm x 155mm (8.5in x 6in) and cut from the red, white, black, gold, and gold holographic card. They were cut and then layered. 
Birthday slice card  - My Scrap Chick
card - The Range
Silhouette die cutting machine
side view
 
That wasn't enough, I decided to make another, so that I could have a lovely verse inside.
 
I die cut a car, coloured with markers and then embossed it all over with clear embossing powder. I printed off the sentiment and stencilled it, with a stencil I cut myself on the Silhouette Die cutting machine. After inking it, I layered it onto green card and adhered it to the main card, with the car placed centre. The layer looks off kilter, but it's probably because of my straightening of it in Photoshop. I didn't notice until I looked at it here. Silly me.

I printed out a sloppy verse inside, (he deserves one.) It's green, because he loves the "Racing Green" that used to be on the old cars. The light has given it different green areas, it's the same colour all over. 
 car - Sweet Dixie Die
markers - Spectrum Noir
embossing powder - Papermania
silver gel pen - Uniball
stencil - Tanya Beatrak ID #63771 Silhouette Design Store
ink - Distress Oxide, lost shadow
Silhouette
 
I then went into my Silhouette again and cut out his name and age, from the same alphabet I used here by Extraordinary Chaos. Before I went to bed, I stuck them to the window, so that when he opened the curtains he could see them. I coloured them with Distress Oxides, not as precisely as it could have been, but it was a last minute thought, so quick colouring. It's 12 x 12 inches
 
you can see them in reverse in the window.

here's how they looked from outside, shame about the reflection.

Hubby isn't one for fuss, although he deserves it, and all he wanted was to go out for a run in the car. He decided on West Wales, so off we toddle and first visit was St Davids Cathedral, a beautiful place to visit, we have been there several times, so our Pilgrimage has been completed over and over. AND, it was a glorious day, even though the wind was chilly. We drove through gorgeous countryside, seeing lots of Ewes with their lambs, cows, and horses in the fields. Everything is so very neat, with everyone having freshly painted outside their white or coloured houses. Also gardens so well looked after. A very beautiful part of Wales.

On our way, one of my favourite views from the car approaching Newgale beach
  
St David's the approach from the car park.
 
 
This is part of a sign inside the Cathedral about the Pilgrimage.

 Strumble Head Lighthouse,
 it doesn't look like it, but it's on its own island. A new place for us.
  
 
 
 In Fishguard we saw Cockle Pickers. 
Don't know what cockles are? here's a link, that may interest you.
 sorry this is out of focus, but they were a long way out in the bay.
 
 
I hope this wasn't too long a visit for you, but you enjoyed a little of our day.

33 comments:

Janette said...

Oh I don't know where to begin, this is such a lovely post Faith.
Firstly I will say your card designs are gorgeous and the ones in the windows look amazing don't they.
I am so glad you put some pictures up of your outing, I really love Wales, its so beautiful, and the stunning cathedral is so interesting, Thankyou for that I have really enjoyed it. Oh and last but not least, Happy birthday to your hubby.xx

Liz said...

Two fabulous cards for your hubby and I love the window decorations. Wishing him a belated Happy Birthday. It looks like it was perfect weather for your lovely day out. What a lovely part of the country, thanks for sharing the photos. xx

Lisa said...

Happy birthday to your hubby! I love the wonderful card you made for him and I am sure he was thrilled to have his birthday celebrated with the neighbors. :)

Carol L said...

What a wonderful milestone birthday your hubby had, and you made the occasion so special for him with a marvelous card and great window stickers! You really went above and beyond to make his day special, and that's awesome. Your trip looked like the perfect way to spend the day too. Congrats to Martin and TFS your special celebration for him!

crafty-stamper said...

Belated happy birthday to your hubby and both fabulous cards you made him and great window stickers.Love the pics and looks like you had a lovely day
Carol x

Pauline C said...

Two fabulous cards for your husband Faith, and what a great idea the window decorations were Even though men say they don’t like fuss, I bet he was really thrilled by the effort you had made for him and love and care you had put into it. Glad you had a lovely day out to celebrate xx

anne said...

Brilliant cards and window decorations and the pictures of your trip are so pretty, it looks like the weather behaved for you.
Anne x

jimlynn said...

Belated birthday wishes to your husband - and I know he loved the card too. The box cards always amaze me and I'd be terrified to even try one. I love this one Faith. Also like the signs for the window! I know that put a smile on his face when he opened the curtains. Cute idea. Great photos - so interesting to see other parts of the world. I read the article from the link you posted! Whoa! I'd never heard of that and it was so interesting. In fact, I'd never even heard of cockles - they must taste very good though. Love your post today!
Lynn

Vicky Hayes said...

What fabulous makes for your hubby Faith. He must have enjoyed being spoilt on his big birthday! Thank you for taking us with you on your pilgrimage. Such lovely photos. It's a long time since I was in that beautiful part of the world but it remains unspoiled and made me feel quite wistful. Vicky x

brenda said...

Looks like a wonderful day out Faith and super scenic photos. One of my Granddad's loved cockles and jellied eels (he hailed from London and apparently commonplace there) I used to think they were the most unappetising things I ever saw.

Belated Birthday wishes to hubby and pleased you celebrated in a way you both enjoyed any of course those lovely cards you made him.

B x

Christine said...

What a fabulous birthday! Many congrats to the birthday boy
Love your cards.... Well thought out
Xx

Leslie said...

OMGoodness, you did go all out and it does sound like he deserves it! Love the cards and the window decorations, and your trip out sounds like a dream! Glad he had a good day! And I have the birthday slice card from MSC - I'll be showcasing it in May for one of my design teams! Love her cut files! ;)

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Amazing cards and surprises for your hubby's 80th birthday! Love the photos too, it seems you both have had a fabulous day!

Beebeebabs said...

Very nice cards and thanks for sharing the lovely photos!!!

Shirley Young said...

Belated Happy Birthday to Martin, sounds like it was a wonderful day, you certainly live in a beautiful place. As for the cards and window decoration, I think the are amazing and a lovely way to celebrate and make memories of a very special day xx.

kiwimeskreations said...

I really enjoyed this post Faith. Fabulous cards and window banner, and what a wonderful day you had out and about. A rather belated Happy Birthday to Martin
Blessings
Maxine

Maria said...

Happy belated 80th birthday to your husband, Martin!! The window banners are so special and look wonderful as is the amazing cards!! Looks like a lovely day to enjoy visiting the countryside! Wonderful photos!

cuilliesocks said...

Happy belated birthday to your Hubby Faith, and your selection of cards are fabulous. looks like you had a lovely day out for the birthday celebration, thank you for sharing your photos with us, Kate x

KraftyKoolKat said...

I love your 80th creations Faith. My dear husband would have been 80 on the 16th, bless him and it would have been our anniversary on the 20th.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

Linby said...

Two wonderful cards for hubby. Great window decorations too. I love St Davids's it's a nightmare for parking though!

Dee's Craft Room said...

Many happy returns to your husband Faith. He is so lucky, two cards and personalised decorations and all lovingly created by you.

Both of your cards are gorgeous but I have to confess that the box card is by far my favourite, totally stunning. Actually, the window hangings are fabulous too.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Dionne xx

Rosemary said...

Wow! The cards you made for your hubby are just fabulous, Faith. And I love the decorations you added to the window. The photos from your trip are absolutely amazing. The cathedral is just beautiful.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi, Faithie, we had family in this weekend so I'm catching up. A blated happy birthday to Martin and I enjoyed the photos of your trip! You made him a fabulous card, my friend! But did he not rake in enough cards? HeeHee And that gigantic blue one! Wow! Have a good week, xoxo

Sue said...

Fabulous card and window decorations Faith and the photo's are really lovely hugs x

R's Rue said...

Happy birthday to your hubby. Beautiful.

HilaryJane said...

What a perfect day you had. You visited some amazing places. I think you really made his birthday special with both those cards and the window panels. Brilliant. You have really showed off your skill with the silhouette xx

Pat said...

What an awesome card, and window decorations. I live close to Chicago in the US.I only get to see farm animals when I drive out to my trailer in farm land. Happy belated to your hubby--mine was on the fifteenth! It must be nice to live in a country where the borders are close to other countries. I'm in the middle of mine. We call it the midwest.
Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog. After losing my husband almost 6 years ago, I went into hibernation-quit my design teams and have just last year begun blogging and sometimes designing for Scribbles challenge blog and the path of positivity blog. Of course COVID didn't help, except to lead me into new techniques and media in my artwork.
Anyway, I like reading your comments on my artwork, so thanks again!

Hetty said...

Congratulations to Martin, wishing him health and happiness with you for many more years.
Such a great card and it looked like you had a wonderful day together.

Sarn said...

Wow - fab photos of your lovely trip out. Wales is so beautiful - I haven’t visited it for far too long. Belated birthday wishes to Martin. Love the cards you made for him on his big birthday. Keepsakes for sure. Xxx

Chrissy said...

What a wonderful day you both had for hubby's birthday and he received so many cards, that is really nice, I love the cards you made him to, the 80th is a fabulous design and then the classic design with the card is awesome..
We had Pipis in NZ which I loved as a child, my uncle used to dig them up with his hand, shuck it, and I would eat it, he told my Mum he couldn't keep up with me..happy memories, they are similar to cockles but flatter.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Brenda said...

What a fun 60th box card Faith! I love how festive it is and perfect for celebrating hubby's birthday! I also love the card card, so fun! The window numbers with his name are a perfect "low key" type of advertising. LOL Looks so great in the windows and wow, what a lovely window it is! Then it was your photo's from you and hubby's little get away in the car. What gorgeous views/places! I had fun reading about the Cockle Pickers, never knew about them or had forgotten...one or the other. But it was really interesting to read and I enjoyed it along with the old photo's. Thanks for sharing the modern day Cockle Pickers too! I totally understand why you both were done in from your getaway! Hugs, Brenda

baileyrosy.com said...

Belated happy birthday wishes for your lovely husband and I can see from your post you have a wonderful day. Firstly amazing cards you really went all out and how clever to attach the 80 to the window. Three super makes and you know I've never made a pop-up card with my Cameo looks far too complicated. Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos really makes me miss the UK having said that as I write this I am visiting family here for a few days. No need to look up "cockles" as a kid we used to pick them in North Wales whilst on holiday and certainly enjoyed them in the pub when older with lots of vinegar.So thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Marie

Greta said...

Fun to see your pictures & looks like a wonderful way to celebrate hubby's big BD! I'm going to have to make an 80th BD for mine, but it's not going to be anything like your masterpiece! Although, I could use one of my car stamps (bought for his cards years ago) & racing green is a favorite color for my guy, too!