28 July 2019

Magpie stamping

Hi Everyone, more stamping from me, I may get to like it LOL. In fact this is my first go at masking a stamp, I'm thrilled it worked, not as good as you lovely stampers, but it's a start.

A story about the magpie first, I think it has a bad press, only because we have had a family of magpies for the last few years, they are wonderful parents, this year there are 3 chicks and the parents visit every day with the chicks, they teach them how to feed, how to take water and how to bathe in the bird baths we have.

What I didn't know and only recently found out was that, (this is from the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) "They fledge after 26 to 30 days, and are fed by the parents for a further four weeks after leaving the nest. The young birds stay in the parents' territory until September or October, when they form loose flocks, feeding and roosting together."

They have a fluorescent black & blue wings and tail and shine in the sunlight, I tried to copy that shine with a little clear sparkle pen, shame you can't see it.
Here is one of the chicks today, the others flew away as I went to take the photo, as always!

OK! I'm boring you now, onto my card, I hope it's CAS enough.

I saw a challenge that I have admired a long time and didn't do stamping to join in, well I have stamped today, so I am joining in! Here's my card -
stamps - magazine freebie
coloured with Nuvo water colour pencils
Clear sparkle pen - Spectrum Noir
die - Tattered Lace
background sentiment - using WRMK Quill pen and
 silver foil with Silhouette Cameo.
Uniball white pen for highlights on birds
I am entering the 
https://freshlymadesketches.blogspot.com/2019/07/freshly-made-sketches-398-sketch-by.html

http://abitmoretimetocraft.blogspot.com/2019/07/a-bit-more-time-to-craft-challenge-96.html


23 comments:

Lisa said...

This is so beautiful!! The magpies look so gorgeous...both on paper and real life :) Gorgeous card!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

cuilliesocks said...

Wonderful card Faith, your colouring of the magpies is fabulous, great design.
Thank you for passing on that little bit of knowledge about the magpies and their young, I didn't know any of that, Kate x x

Hetty said...

Thank you, Faith for more info about the magpie.
Your card is beautiful, great stamping!!!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful monochrome card and love the magpies -we don't realise what good parents birds and I suppose most animals are better than some humans from what has been in the news recently -dumb animals aye wonder who came up with that phrase!!!
Carol x

Liz said...

Super card, Faith and a great take on the sketch. Great stamping too. We get a lot of magpies here. I remember when a local cat caught one in a neighbour's garden. Literally dozens and dozens of magpies flew above the cat flapping wildly and making the most terrifying noise to try and scare the cat. I'd never seen anything like it - it was like being in the Hitchcock film, The Birds! xx

Nancy said...

Yay for stamping, Faith! You've made a great card! However...
In my opinion Magpies deserve their bad press...and more! Yes, they're lovely birds - to LOOK at! I do enjoy the blue/black fluorescent nature of their wings. BUT when I see a Magpie get onto the birdhouse that is home to another bird's babies, pop his head into said birdhouse, and fly off with said baby in his mouth...ACK!!! He is not a friend to me and is not welcome in my yard! Never mind the horrible racket he makes! I could go on...but I won't. I like Magpies - 4 and twenty baked in a pie! haha Or stamped on a lovely card! :o)

Jen Mitchell said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Lisa Lynn said...

Wonderful card Faith and very interesting info on the bird.

cotnob said...

A super card Faith, a fabulous design.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Shirley Young said...

Your stamping is really good Faith and the foil quill background really sets it off, a lovely card. Great photo of your magpie too xx

Doreen said...

Love the magpies,this is just gorgeous.x

Beebeebabs said...

Very nice card - great job as always!!!

Pat K said...

Beautiful card Faith. Love your info on the Magpie. We don't have them here but I say the little verse you mention on your card when I see crows. Your creation is so clever...and great job on the stamping. xx

Lori said...

Fun layers and your magpies are so pretty! Beautiful card. Enjoyed the picture and the info on magpies!

Mac Mable said...

So proud of you my dear friend....Great stamping and masking and the design of your card is fabulous. The black and white is so classy and loving the die cut too...amazing card x Thank you for the information about the magpies....we have them too x.

Brenda said...

What a pretty bird and I bet they are much prettier in person. I loved learning about them from you Faith, how fun. Your take on the sketch is awesome! I love that you have stamped some more and maybe liking it. lol Your card turned out fabulous as did your stamped magpies! Hugs, Brenda

Greta said...

Loved reading what you wrote about the magpies & your card is an absolutely wonderful creation, Faith!

Carol L said...

What a great take on the sketch and a fun story about magpies - something I've never heard about before! Thanks for another fun post ;)

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

Love this CAS card. Thank you for your lovely entry at Mix It Up Challenge Blog! Hope to see you again soon!!
HUGS!
Ann DT

Sally H said...

Absolutely wonderful, Faith! I love it! We have a baby magpie hanging around the garden at the moment. He looks much like his mum and dad, but isn't confident enough to try some of the bird feeders. The woodpigeons and squirrel spook him a bit too. Sorry I haven't been over in a while. looking forward to catching up on all your posts xxx

Dr Sonia S V said...

Thank you for sharing some tidbits about the birds...so interesting and your card is so stylish
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Anne said...

This card is wonderful Faith, for me one of your best!
I never thought I'd say it but I really love watching the birds in the garden, magpies do have bad press as they can be bullies but they are beautiful
Anne x

wannabcre8tive said...

Great card. I like the magpie images.