03 June 2022

Celebration

Our house has Union Jack Flags festooned to celebrate the The Platinum Jubilee marking 70 years of our monarch's reign. Queen Elizabeth II will be the first British monarch to reach the milestone. Be prepared for LOTS of piccies.

I had this wonderful poem from Gill Reed I decided to "pomp" it up for the occasion and thought it perfect to celebrate the occasion this weekend. 

Why this weekend you ask? Her Majesty's acceded the throne in February and June will be the culmination of the Celebrations. The Trooping of the Colour and HM Official Birthday is also celebrated in June. 

 This week my cards for the Craft Club, I felt, had to include a Royal connection and luckily my subscription magazine Simpy Cards & Papercraft included papers that were just perfect for this. So I printed one of the papers and the sentiment and cut 3 layers for the sentiment and the Guard house and a Guard for them to layer and add to the paper. It's very simple as that is all they can do.  For their second card, I printed out a digital stamp and shapes for them to colour and add to the card and again cut them a sentiment in layers. I'm happy to report they really liked this weeks offering. Here are the sample cards for them to follow.

 

 this card was inspired by a photo of a card and digital stamp by
 Faith Skrdla, sadly no longer with us.
this was printed and coloured with Distress Inks,
 the flower shape and sentiment was cut in Cameo.

I am including the Coronation in this post, however that didn't happen until 2nd June 1953. I remember sitting in my Grandparents house watching the Coronation Ceremony on a 9inch TV screen, the whole of my father's family of 11 boys, their wives and children squashed into the "front room" to watch this wonderful event. I feel part of history saying that!

This also reminded me of when my Mother bought this "book" for us. I treasure it and I was (and still am) fascinated with all of our history and looked forward to the Ceremony. I have been a Royalist from then. I know it's not "woke" to say that, but that's me.

Anyhow here are piccies from the "book" in page order.





this is a pop up page


20 comments:

Janette said...

Hello Faith, sorry I have missed a few posts, been taking a break but when I saw your wonderful post today I had to come and look. Its brilliant, all the pictures and history you have and that gorgeous card with the Guards on, I must confess I love it all, every minute of it and our most wonderful monarch. Hope you have a lovely weekend.xxx

mamapez5 said...

Hi Faith. I loved that poem, and it is so perfect for this weekend.
Of course the jubilee is not very obvious out here though a few of the more English bars are having low-key parties, but we enjoyed watching a programme about it on TV last night. (We can pick up the main UK programmes).
You did a great job with the items from the magazines this week. It is too hot to do much card making now, but I need a few so I think my silhouette will have get busy. It is a safer bet than stamping and inking with hot sticky fingers!
Enjoy the rest of the jubilee celebrations. Kate x

Shirley Young said...

Love the cards and poem Faith. I too remember watching the coronation on a tiny TV screen but the cabinet it was in was huge. I think I still have a Coronation mug hidden away somewhere and I envy you your book. Our village is having an event tomorrow and people have been asked to submit any photos they have from that time so should be interesting - have a lovely weekend xx

Leslie said...

Wow. Just wow. The poem is magnificent and your card is totally awesome! And that book! Such a wonderful keepsake! Enjoy the festivities, my friend!

crafty-stamper said...

Love your cards and great poem,I love the book you have kept all this time.I was three and have seen pics of me and my younger sister with white dresses with red and blue stripe trims-enjoy your celebrations.
Carol x

Rosemary said...

a wonderful set of cards, faith. i love how you "royaled" up the poem! it is so amazing that the Queen is celebrating 70 years on the throne. she is one amazing woman!

Mac Mable said...

Enjoyed reading the post Faith and what a fabulous tribute to the Jubilee weekend with your first 'regal' card x. Continue to enjoy this special weekend x.

cotnob said...

A fabulous poem Faith and I love the cards you created for your craft group, I especially like the patriotic one.
Your book is fabulous, a wonderful keepsake, there is nothing wrong with being a Royalist.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Christine said...

Great Post!
I too remember the Coronation. We had a street party, no telly, and I was dressed as Brittania. My parents spent weeks making my costume. My mother was a milliner so she made the dress and helmet while my father made the shield and trident. No going out and buying ready made in Those days!!
Love that book. Didn't folks make an effort in those days....
BTW I have the coronation on film.... Two pieces of film with viewer in a presentation box. Picked it up in a Parisian market some years back!!!

Pauline C said...

Great cards and lovely poem, and fab pictures from your coronation book - fantastic Keepsake. Enjoy the jubilee weekend !! Xx

Hetty said...

Hello Faith!
I hope you have a wonderful celebration this Jubilee Weekend.
Will watch the concert tonight on BBC. Your poem, artwork cards and photo's are wonderful. It must all be so festive.

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful poem - love your card and nice photos thanks for sharing!!!

Sue said...

Lovely papers and such a sweet poem..your cards are gorgeous Faith hugs Sue x

Brenda said...

I have been watching about the Jubilee on our news, I am in awe of the Queen and admire her greatly. It is amazing she has lived to celebrate The Platinum Jubilee! I would not have liked being in that crowded "sea" to see her though. lol Way to many people for me! Your "pomp" up poem is fabulous! I can definitely see why the card club card was a big hit, it is awesome and so patriotic. The cup of flowers are beautifully colored and is such a pretty card. That is so cool that you can remember sitting at your Grandparents house watching the Coronation Ceremony in 1953! People were lucky to have a small TV to even watch, so that is just so cool to me. The book pamphlet is so cool and what a treasure to have and I love that you still have to this day. Very cool indeed! I would enjoy reading through it myself. lol Hugs, Brenda

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Faith! Firstly, thanks for the comment you left me, I'm so happy you liked my Jubilee Deco as it seems so few have seen it. And I am so sorry your computer has died and I sure hope you get back up and running lickety-split! Secondly, your two cards are fabulous! The royal guard card is so cool with the lines of men and the Faith Skrdla image touched my heart as I was and remain such a fan of her stuff. RIP to her! And lastly, that commemorative coronation book is indeed a treasure and so interesting. Loved reading about your memories as well. My fingers are way too fat for my cell phone so I do understand-I use only my computer. But please tell whomever is helping you with your computer we must have you back asap! Hugs, xoxo

Donna Heber said...

Hi Faith, Thank you for taking the time to stop by my blog. Your cards are beautiful and for such a wonderful occasion.

Carol L said...

This is such a great post filled with wonderful memories of a remarkable history of your origins! I'm glad you're just being yourself, because we all come from different cultures and we should cherish them as we grow! I love that fun poem, and the cards are a great tribute to the Royal Jubilee celebration! I just LOVE the book that you kept and treasured all these years and what a priceless gem that is today! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Helen F. said...

Oh my goodness,Faith! The poem is amazing and your card is Fabulous! What a magnificent treasure that book is ~ a truly wonderful keepsake. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful history and Celebration with us.

Nancy said...

What a fabulous post, Faith! I watched much of the celebrations on tv! The Queen is very dear to us, here in Canada! Your cards are beautiful, that poem is fantastic, and thanks for sharing the photos too! :o)

Greta said...

Love the poem & what a treasure you have with that coronation book! Love the cards!