12 January 2024

Steam Trains and a warning

 Hi Everyone, the cards today are for my brothers who were steam train Firemen and who still love their steam trains, and hubby's Great nephew, who is a Steam Train enthusiast. The actual stamp is from Pat, who kindly sent me the stamp in different colours and embossing, after I complimented her on her fabulous use of the stamp. Thank you so much Pat.

#3 brother had his 84th birthday on the 5th of this month, #1 brother, 88 in February and Nephew 21 in March, but I decided to do them all together and put them aside for later. However, it wasn't a good time for me to do them, with no mojo. I did the lined card twice and the brown card just once. I may strip the 2 apart and make different ones, but I am completely stripped of any design element in my head. Not only that, but I hope that I start getting some mojo soon, as the start of the year is busy with birthdays for me. I am happy to say that #3 brother liked his card.  

Anyhow, the stamp is fabulous and having a different embossing on each was wonderful. I started with trying to match the  GWR (Great Western Railway) colours, these were the nearest I could get in printing them. I looked online for some tickets and was able to find some that had Paddington on them, (South Wales trains, start there.) I copied and printed them and cut them out with Silhouette. I also saw the sentiment online, but changed it  to suit these cards. The Great was changed to GWReat to incorporate the Company. They were printed and cut with a die and the double layer tickets were added to the cards. The brown card has gold peel off stickers added. I'm not sure if I did the stamp's justice, but the first one was much appreciated. Even the photographs aren't good, the cards look misshapen. OH! dear. I wanted to do Pat's generosity justice, not sure that I have.

striped and plain paper - Creative Bloom Vintage patterned paper
brown embossed paper - Just So Scrappy 
 
Now the 
Warning
If you live in the UK, pease be aware,
 if you are buying Post Office stamps online. They could be counterfeit.
 
This is the envelope of a Christmas card received after Christmas, I was astounded to be charged £5 to receive it. I was in two minds to refuse it, but thought I would contact the sender and let them know that their stamps were counterfeit.  
The postman told me the QR Code should have texture and the counterfeit one doesn't. 
I've blurred out my address.


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on stamps, useful to know. Lovely cards which I'm sure were and will be appreciated.

Pauline C said...

2 beautiful train cards Faith, fab image and absolutely wonderful sentiment to go with it! Wow you are so lucky having so much family to make for … I only need about half a dozen birthday cards all year long!
That is a shocker about the counterfeit stamp, and charging the recipient is amazing. Hope the sender didn’t buy too many of these online!
Pauline x

Janette said...

Oh Faith I am sorry to read this, I buy stamps online but from the Royal Mail office. Its awful what people will do now.
Onto your gorgeous cards. the image is perfect for any enthusiast and I love the tickets, a lovely touch. I like them both, couldn't chose one at all.
Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

Linby said...

What a brilliant stamp and you've made fab cards. Inspired to use the GWR for the greeting.
What a shock to pay £5!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous stamp and cards,love the added tickets and play on words sentiments-the cards don't look misshapen at all Faith.I saw a post on FB about the scam where they are giving you a good deal for bulk buys and the are counterfeit-you have to be so careful nowadays with all the the scams about-I only buy mine from the post office.
Carol x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

In this crazy world we have today we lacked the fake stamps! Incredible you have had to pay.
Amazing cards for your Brothers, such beautiful vintage stamp and great you have been able to modify the sentiment to personalize them! Love the tickets added!

creationsnz said...

GWReat cards Faith! Be proud of them. CarolG

Shame on people who do counterfeiting and scamming.

Hetty said...

Super train cards, Faith! Your brothers must look forward to your card each year.

KraftyKoolKat said...

A lovely array of lovely stamps. So sorry you had to pay £5 and the stamps were counterfit. Thank you for the warning.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxx

HilaryJane said...

Stop being so hard on yourself. These cards are great and there is nothing wrong with the photos either. Why are we always so critical of our own work Are you suffering from those dreaded January blues? Sorry you were on the receiving end of counterfeit stamps. That was a lot to pay for a Christmas card, but I can understand needing to know who sent it xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Those are super cards Faithie! Such a loving sisterly gesture! Thanks for alerting everyone, is nothing sacred anymore? Boo! XOX

Shirley Young said...

You have really done justice to the lovely stamp Faith and the way you have adapted the sentiment is brilliant. My mojo has gone awol, I think some brighter weather would make me feel more inspired to do things. A real pain about the counterfeit stamp, I bet the sender was mortified. Keep warm xx

Rosemary said...

I think you did a wonderful job with both cards, Faith. They look amazing to me. It never ceases to amaze me how people will figure out ways to defraud people! I have seen ads on Instagram for a company selling "discount" Forever Stamps (US postage). Thinking it is a scam just like the one your friend encountered!

Chana Malkah said...

Hi, Faith!

I like your cards and they are totally fit for purpose! I bet your brothers are still smiling! Fake stamps? Geez! As an American, I didn't think there was anything that could still surprise me, I was wrong!

Your mojo will return. It just needs a rest from all your holiday activities!

Hugz,
Chana

Leslie said...

Your cards are amazing - I love that stamp! Too bad you ended up having to pay for the counterfeit stamp. Low-lives will stoop to anything, and I hope they catch them.

Brenda said...

I think your cards are amazing just as they are Faith! You are being way to hard on yourself. They look perfect the way they are, I love the tickets you added and of course the play on words with your sentiments. I think you did justice to this wonderful stamped imagine and gift! Ahhh, the scammers, will they ever stop?! No, they are getting more and more sophisticated. We too, have been warned about postage scams and I am always getting emails about buying postage stamps online cheap. I delete and continue to buy mine from the post office where I know it they are real. Good that you are warning folks in your Country my friend! Hugs, Brenda

Shona Erlenborn said...

Wonderful masculine cards Faith! Love them both and I'm sure the boys will too! What is the world coming to? Absolutely ridiculous that the receiver is the one that has to pay!

Maria said...

I think your train cards are perfect! I have a brother-in-law who loves model trains. And, my son love the train sets when young. I’m sure your brothers will love the cards! Oh, my! So many scammers out there! Sorry to hear you had to pay for it. Take care and have a great rest of the week!

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Faith, two fabulous cards for steam train enthusiasts. Great images and design.
Gosh that was a shock, although why charge you £5 is beyond me, not your fault the stamp was a fraudulent one. Typical Royal Mail, which isn't really Royal Mail, Kate x

Carol L said...

Your cards are wonderful and I love how you added the tickets to the train image! That's great advice about the stamps too. I've seen stamps advertised here in the US at far below cost prices and I always go along with "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." So sorry you got stung with paying the costs.

Vicky Hayes said...

Oh my goodness Faith, that's awful about the stamps. Thanks for the heads up. I do try to buy locally as I dislike the trend for online shopping (although I do realise of course that it's a lifesaver for some who can't get out.)

Your cards are wonderful and of course the punny sentiments made me chuckle! I especially like the splash of colour on the second one. Vicky x

Pat said...

Well, Faith, you shouldn't doubt yourself as they are both great. I love the horizontal strip of dotty paper with the gold peel offs on each side, and I think the brown embossed paper has the look of leather, and love that you added the tickets and the fun sentiment used on each. The second is equally wonderful with the different widths of stripes across it and the green works so well. Thank you for the shout out too, so kind of you, and I am sure the other two for No. 1 brother and your nephew will both be much appreciated. x

Sarn said...

Both train cards are fabulous Faith. I love the extra ticket embellishments. How kind of Pat to send you some images. Craft buddies are the best!

Didn’t know there are counterfeit stamps out there. I only buy from the PO. What a shame you got stung. Xxx