22 July 2023

Little birds! And Steam Engine

 Hi Everyone, I had a play on my computer, done all I needed around the house, it was raining and chilly, so computer it was.

I looked through my digital images and found these birds, never used! So with Silhouette opened, I played with them until I was happy, this is the result!

I print and cut 2 of the background circle wreath and sentiment, and 3 of the edge birds and flower. It was just layering and gluing them together and placing onto the card. A card for my stash of just in case cards.
images - PC Hugware, no longer available
the artist hasn't been identified on the images.
I've had these unused images, plus others, since 2007. I really must go through my files and use more.

 

Now for something completely different, but still relating to old things. I thought I'd share a few photos of a trip we had recently. Hubby gave 2 huge boxes of his old tools, to The Gwili Railway, as he couldn't use them any more, due to modern sizing of machinery. However, as the railway has old machinery, they were thrilled to have them. As a reward, he was given a Cream Tea and train ride for the both of us. He and I were thrilled.

When we went, hubby had also decided to give them two massive vices too. It took 2 men to carry one of them.

Anyhow, hubby's Great Nephew, is a Volunteer and qualified Fireman on the Steam Engine, he's only 20 so did well. (He's also a student Pharmacist). When the Engine was moved from the front of the train to the back, on the return journey, hubby was asked if he would like to board the footplate while they did it. He was thrilled, so here are a few of the photos of hubby, train, and Nephew.

The Engine RSH 7849 Moorbarrow approaching the platform.


Nephew uncoupling the engine and coach, to enable the engine to return to the front of the engine.
 
Here he is changing the points for the return journey.

Hubby and Nephew

A typical waiting room, of the time, at one of the stops in the journey

Nephew on a deserved break at the same stop, he had got up in the early hours to start the engine. Hubby wearing Nephews Fireman hat.

 

One of the Engine's awaiting Restoration

 

I took a few more of the old engines and wagons awaiting restoration, but this is one I wanted to share, as it had a sad story.

  

 A beautiful day, which we ended driving through gorgeous countryside, in glorious sunshine, from the Railway at Carmarthen to Llandovery and home.

29 comments:

Janette said...

I am quite choked up over the last part of your post today Faith, its more than sad, those poor horses, it must have been dreadful, but thankyou for sharing so many lovely pictures, your Nephew is very handsome.
I love the card you made, so pretty. xxx

brenda said...

A lovely fresh looking card Faith a great photos as well, thanks for sharing.

B x

kiwimeskreations said...

What a sweet card Faith.. love the soft colours of both the wreath and cute birds.
Your rail trip sounds amazing - I have a soft spot for steam engines also, and I have many memories associated with them.
Blessings
Maxine

Carol L said...

Your card is just the sweetest with a great sentiment. I love it! TFS the photos of your train trip and family - it looks like a fun day was had by all :)

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

A very sweet card and lovely photos of your train trip!
So sad for the war horse wagon story... :(

Lisa said...

Those images are so precious. Nice that you went through and found them and used them.

What a thrill for you, hubby and your nephew to take that train trip. Great pictures. Looks like everyone had a wonderful time.

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card and image,love the sof colours.Sounds like a great day out and a cream tea too-brilliant,love all the pics and sad about the War Horse Wagon!
carol x

Sarn said...

A lovely card and a special day out. Fab photo's. xxx

cuilliesocks said...

Your card is so sweet Faith, a lovely design.
Fab photos of your Nephew and Husband. I love old steam trains, it always felt that you were embarking on an adventure when on them, they were amazing machines.
What a sad story about the war wagon. I get so angry about the animals that were used in the war, I feel there was no need, they didn't give their permission. Hope all is well with you and your son is much better, take care, Kate x

Sue said...

Sweet card Faith and great photo's! so said about the horses hugs x

Dee's Craft Room said...

Oh, what a wonderful day out Faith - and not a rain cloud in sight. (What happened to the summer? It has been so very cold and wet, I keep thinking about putting the heating on.) Where are the photos of the cream tea? I do love a cream tea!

I also love your card, it has a very vintage feel to it. Lovely layout and very pretty images - cute little birds.

Hoping for the return of the summer.

Dionne x

HilaryJane said...

Great to see you use some old digital supplies, love the result. I am glad you enjoyed your day out with the steam engines. Thanks for sharing the pictures xx

Liz said...

I love your cute card, Faith. Thanks for sharing the photos of your day out. Can't beat a ride on a steam train..... so much nicer than the modern trains. xx

Christine said...

What a lovely day out!! PJ's cousin is connected with the railway so when he found his sister we visited there. Super railway. What a smart young man your nephew is, there will always be work on these heritage railways.
Beautiful card, such delicate colours

jimlynn said...

Great pictures and it looks like so much fun!
Love your beautiful card. So sweet and pretty.
Lynn

Rosemary said...

Your card is so sweet with those cute little birds, Faith. Sounds like your hubby had an absolutely wonderful time. And made even more wonderful that he was able to do it with his great nephew! I must say that when I saw the first photo of the train I immediately thought of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Brenda said...


The bird wreath card is adorable Faith, you have the best images on that computer of yours! I love the soft colors and those sweet little birdies. Wow on the steam train! How nice of hubby to give his old tools to the Gwili Railway. I can imagine they were thrilled to have them! I'm in awe of Great Nephew and his accomplishments! A volunteer/qualified fireman on the Steam Engine and a student of Pharmacist?! Good for him! That's so interesting to know they have to switch the motor from one end to the other. Great photos Faith, Nephew is a cutie pie for sure. Love seeing hubby enjoy his time with him too. The end of the post was indeed sad, the animals lost to war is hard just as it is hard to fathom the loss of life with anything involved with war. I am glad you and hubby got to enjoy that train ride!! Your photos are amazing! Hugs, Brenda

Aimeslee Winans said...

Faithie, I like your sweet card with such pleasant colors and how you designed the front elements. What a fun day you had with hubby and priceless photos too. Tis a sad story about the livestock, but we've come a long way recognizing animal rights, some might say too far in places. I think that's what everyone should get from that, feeling grateful no first-world nation would do that now. (And perhaps they had no choice back then being wartime and all). Just my thoughts. I'm glad you and hubby could have a little adventure! XOX

Hetty said...

Love your bird card, Faith, so sweet. And what a great idea to give the old tools for the old trains. Great gift the train ride, wonderful pictures for remembering this great trip.

Hetty said...

Love your bird card, Faith, so sweet. And what a great idea to give the old tools for the old trains. Great gift the train ride, wonderful pictures for remembering this great trip.

Viv said...

Love your sweet card Faith! I have that image too somewhere I am sure lol. Loved the pics too, looks like you had a great day ;) Viv xx

pinky said...

Your card is adorable Faith but I'm afraid those amazing photos steal the show!!

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful card and thanks for sharing the photos!!!

Shirley Young said...

Great photos Faith, sounds like you had an amazing day and good that the old tools will be put to good use. So sad about the horses but good that they are remembered. Love your card too, the pastel colours look so pretty xx

baileyrosy.com said...

I too was sad to read about the fate of those brave horses but so happy for hubby and nephew who have made great memories. thank you for sharing these amazing photos with us. Love your card with those pretty images and delicate colours.

Marie

Linby said...

Your card is so delicate and pretty. What a great experience for your hubby and how nice to have someone in the family involved too.

Pat said...

I love your sweet and pretty bird image Faith, and beautifully put together with lots of dimension. Looks like you and hubby had a great day at the Gwili Steam Railways and how lovely that your great nephew is the fireman on the train. I'm sure they will make good use of all the tools your hubby donated too. x

Chrissy said...

So beautiful Faith, gorgeous soft colours and I love the birds..we lost our train, only one for logging wood and other stuff to the wharf for shipping these days, but can ride on one which you need to take out a mortgage to pay for it up and down New Zealand, north Island..great photos.

luv CHRISSYxx

Leslie said...

Absolutely gorgeous card! And what a beautiful day out... thanks for sharing those photos!