01 March 2024

Red Dragon CCC

  Hi Everyone, my DT cards today is for -

 

Whether Furry, Feathered, Fantasy, Fairytale, 
Scaly, or Insect, there must be a critter.
 

It's St David's Day, the Patron Saint of Wales. You should know by now, that I usually have a special post to wish you all -

Happy St David's Day 

This year I have a card. Looking through my files I came across an Iris folding pattern of a Dragon I had forgotten about, well I HAD to make it, didn't I?

I used tissue paper, something I hadn't used before for iris folding, and it was much easier and flatter to use, in fact, finished, it's not much thicker than a 3D dimensional.

First thing I did was to take the free pattern, link below, into my Silhouette and cut the dragon image and print the pattern. I followed the pattern with the tissue paper, then stencilled the grass hill and clouds. I didn't have an acrylic block to add the small tree stamp, so used the top of an embossing powder container, trouble was I couldn't see if it was straight. However, I liked the quirky angle, as I felt the dragon was fun and could take the quirky.  Next, I attached the finished piece to the base card. Then I added wobbly eyes and drew the nostrils with a fine line pen, as per the pattern, thanks to Sarah, the pattern maker for the idea.

So here is my fun 
Red Dragon of Wales. Y Ddraig Goch
 
  Dragon pattern, others available - Craft With Sarah
tissue paper - The Range
stencil - Funky fossil
tree stamp - Chocolate Baroque
ink - Distress Oxide, tumbled glass, mowed lawn, rustic wilderness
eyes - stash 


A little information.
 Why does Wales have a red dragon?
The History of the Welsh Dragon - Symbol of Wales
It is considered that the Welsh kings of Aberffraw first adopted the dragon in the early fifth century in order to symbolise their power and authority, after the Romans withdrew from Britain. Later, around the seventh century, it became known as the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr, king of Gwynedd from 655 to 682.
 
 
Besides all this, I have a problem. I am commenting on cards and the comment is not coming up on the blog, when I visit next time and check back. Anyone else having this problem?

25 comments:

Liz said...

Happy St David’s Day from someone who is half Welsh.
I love your card Faith, such a fun design and perfect for today.

Your comments are probably stuck in the spam comments folder, I know some of your comments have appeared in mine but I check my spam folder most days as there is often at least one genuine comment in there. I said on one of my recent posts that I was having this problem and asked if anyone else was. One visitor then checked her spam folder and found there was nearly 100 genuine ones in there! I guess all we can do is remind bloggers to regularly check theirs. It seems like it’s a glitch with blogger. xx

Pauline C said...

Gorgeous paper fold dragon for St David’s Day Faith … very intricate and fun! I wouldn’t know where to start to make such a clever design! Blogger does seem to put a lot of comments into the spam folder - I check mine daily and there are often genuine comments in there, including various people who comment regularly on my blog.
Pauline xx

Carol L said...

I haven't done iris folding in ages, but I love this wonderful red dragon to commemorate your celebration of St. David's day! I've learned to check my spam folder every day because some comments always seem to land there every time they comment. Also some comments land in the published folder but I have to click the check mark alongside them to post them, otherwise they just sit there unpublished. I try to double check every day to make sure comments are published. Thanks for always visiting and commenting too :)

brenda said...

What a great design with the paper folding Faith.

As Liz said, lots of comments get stuck waiting for approval these says (even when comment moderation is off) and I've found several people who don't realise that they need to check. Another unnecessary change on the part of Blogger.

B x

brenda said...

As a follow on from what I just said, it's not unusual for the same persons comment to publish on one post, yet sit waiting for approval on another.

B x

Janette said...

Happy St Davids Day to you and all your clan Faith.

I have had comments not show up before and then some just appear in the spam folder, even from years ago which I find crazy...
I love your card, the Dragon is stunning, he really is proud. xx

R's Rue said...

So cute

creationsnz said...

Hi Faith, I love your welsh dragon, full of character and so bold. CarolG

coldwaters2 said...

What a super Iris Folding card Faith that Dragon looks amazing you are very clever to try this technique it looks very intricate but you have done a FAB job I LOVE Wales used to go every year with my mum miss it so much
hugs
lolo x

HilaryJane said...

I have never done iris folding. It looks great and perfect in the red tissue paper. as others have said. You should check your spam folder in the comments section of your blog. I have little spates of them going in there, so it is worth checking regularly xx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I have to check my spam folder daily because some comments end there by some moths (and I don't know why, it's a Blogger thing)
Your red dragon looks fabulous with the Iris Folding! And those googling eyes are so fun and cute!!! Such lovely card to celebrate the patron of Wales!

Pat K said...

Hi Faith. I dropped by especially today ..to wish you Happy St.David's Day and check out what I know would be a lovely post. You have not dissappointed. What a fabulous dragon on this lovely card and Thank You for the information on this special day. Enjoy. hugs, Pat xx

Beebeebabs said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing!!!

Shirley Young said...

What a fabulous card for St David’s day Faith, the dragon looks fantastic and cute too. I’ve never attempted iris folding - something else on the list of things to do xx

Christine said...

Hello
You've just popped up on bloglovin.....
Great card and I too love Iris folding.... That's a great dragon.
Going on a catch up now......

Aimeslee Winans said...

You won't see comments made to my blog immediately. I approve them 2-3 times a day. I know a lot of bloggers do that to cut out spam.
Now, that card is pure delight, look at you go, woman! You're on a creative roll. Love it!
And a very happy belated St. David's Day to you!
XOX

Rosemary said...

Love your red dragon, Faith! And how you always explain a bit about the history of important Welsh symbols.

Linby said...

wow! this is amazing. I'm behind on my commenting!

Hetty said...

I love iris folding. Your card is fabulous.

Leslie said...

I've always loved iris folding and I think I've done it once (a very long time ago) and it was so thick I didn't care much for it. Maybe I'll try again with tissue paper as you did... very clever! I totally love the dragon!

Sue - said...

Belated “Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus” Faith! Lovely red dragon! For some reason your comments are always in my spam folder, so maybe that’s happening on other blogs and people don’t check!

Vicky Hayes said...

You are so amazing with your card designs Faith - each one unique and in your own style! The first one of these made me chuckle and I love the colours. I don't even need to bother to lie about my age as I can never remember how old I am and can't be bothered to do the maths!! Can I just say that as much as I love the first card, your iris folded dragon really steals the show today! I love that you gave him googly eyes and recessed him into the scene. Happy belated St David's Day - I'm sure you're still celebrating! *wink* Vicky x

PS Re commenting: Your comments always seem to end up in my spam folder no matter how much I patiently remove them and mark them as NOT spam. Maybe it's that?

Chana Malkah said...

WoW; Faith, this is so adorable. I love the design and the beautiful Iris Fold! You nailed it!
Hugz,
Chana

pinky said...

I am getting loads of comments going directly to spam these days, seriously annoying as I keep forgetting to check. You where in there a couple of times yourself!! Your dragon card is absolutely amazing and so striking with the folds.

Heather said...

This is so fun !! I haven't done Iris folding in ages and I think your using the tissue paper was genius! The dragon is perfect and your background goes with him so well!