14 September 2018

New kitchen! plus more.

Hi Everyone, this is long but hopefully interesting?

You must be wondering where I am and why I haven't visited, well the reason is we are having a new kitchen in mid October and due to new electrical work we have to empty our very full loft - UGH! It contains a lot of our last 2 houses and my Mothers "stuff". as as we downsized, it all went into the loft.  SO! I decided that everything must be sorted and the loft emptied for good. It will mean my son will have little to do after our days, - well gotta be prepared.

I also have hubby off sick! he had his eyes operated on this week so that his tear ducts work again. Lots of pain and swelling around his eyes, and as this is the second time he has had it done they had to play with the scarring from last time and the internal stitching. So with everything going on he opts out of helping! poor man. He does have a valid excuse.

On to the kitchen which is 25 years old, a few of the cupboards are definitely showing their age. It's a small room with no option to enlarge it, due to the design of the bungalow.  BUT it works. I LOVE my floor, but it's going and a new one down.

Due to this upheaval and the sorting I'm going to be absent most of the time. I am overloaded to sort it out in a few weeks, and hope to be back soon. I still have a few DT work that I am trying to keep up with and I am duty bound to do that, I believe.

So far I have found my son's terry napkins (diapers) and towels we used for him, he's 42,  also my wedding dress and veil screwed up in a carrier bag - NO I can't fit into it. And that will go back into the loft! :( Also some pillowcases that were engagement presents and were still in their original boxes after 55 years, now after being washed, they are beautiful and I am going to use them at last.

 I wonder if pillowcases are given as presents these days?

 I have also found books from the 1930's and other books which are still good enough to go to the charity shops, you can see some of the photos below. Also thousands of slides/transparencies and photos, which are the biggest challenge to sort. My son wants to know if I have had news that hubby and I are departing this world, as that's what it seems like, it is a true house clearance.

That is my excuse for not visiting, but hope it won't be too long when I am back with fresh ideas and an empty house. - I hope!

Why do we hoard stuff we don't use? 
AH! but the memories are wonderful - 
most of the time.

These were amongst the first load of boxes that will be staying with me.
I hope you won't be bored?
this is how a painting was/is wrapped, you can see little bits of the crumbling paper
watercolour painting by my Grandfather in 1894, he would have been 24
sadly the paper is so fragile, it's breaking into bits.
This is his signature, showing he copied it.

 Now a few books, that I'm fascinated by. The Chums book is a wonderful book.
it is dated an Annual 1935 / 1936
These are a few of the pages of this VERY dated, even in language, boys book.









  1. The left book is one belonging to my Mother, I used this a lot when younger, a few of the things in it are crafts forgotten - perhaps?
  2. The middle book is about learning music - as it says, it's really good
  3. Then the Chums book showing it's disrepair 


15 comments:

Shona Erlenborn said...

Wow - you've found some relics Faith!! Some beautiful memories! We are in the midst of doing the same thing, it's a hard and long process, so I feel your pain! What should I keep? What should go?

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for sharing the photos Faith. It sounds a huge task to clear the attic but in truth it would be for most of us...I suspect. Had a chuckle about your son thinking you had some bad news x.
You are right to clear it and not leave it to your son.
Whilst clearing, although hard work I bet you are enjoying the memories? x
Sorry to hear about DH and hope he recovers soon x.
Good luck with the kitchen and hope we'll see photos when it is done.
Enjoy the pillowcases and loved reading your post Faith x

crafty-stamper said...

Here was I thinking your kitchen looks beautiful thought this was the after pic!!!Such a shame about your grandfathers painting though--I have been saying exactly the same about getting rid of stuff no-one wants it passing on and is just left for someone to dispose off.Would you believe in our loft at least three old vacuum cleaners and an old bike frame-now who in their right mind struggles to put a bike frame(no longer useable) in the loft the mind boggles.Might add this was my inlaws house originally so not our doing lol
Carol x

Brenda said...

Wow Faith, your kitchen is beautiful and shows no signs of wear in the photo! I love the white and style of your cabinets. Wish my kitchen looked this good. lol Mine is well loved and worn big time. Cooking for 8 everyday a few times a day and 8 fingers on the cabinets-well lets just say I have scrubbed the finish right off in a lot of places! lol Going through "our junk" is a job isn't it?! I don't know why we hoard some much stuff but we do. I have to say though you have found some amazing treasures my friend! I do hope you will see what you can do to preserve your grandfather's painting as it is an heirloom and needs to be framed and hung-but in the right way. Love it! Also love the books you found too. Such fun treasures! lol Oh and I can't fit into the dress I wore when I married Dwayne either. lol Anyway, good luck with the kitchen, good luck to DH and his eyes healing-yes a good excuse, and we will be right here waiting your return! Hugs, Brenda

cotnob said...

Your kitchen looks fabulous Faith, I love your floor.
Wonderful memories, it's amazing what we store away and forget about - we converted our loft and had to empty it some years ago, there were so many things I didn't even know were up there!
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

NanaConnie said...

While I don't envy you the chore of clearing things out, I am envious of the new kitchen you'll have, Faith. Hope you're going to share photos when it's finished. I love the old books! When I was an exchange student at Downing College, Cambridge, I ran across some old books in a shop and picked up many (some of which were pre-1900), often for only a few pence or shillings. I ended up gathering so many books that I had to do a separate shipment home because there were far too many to get into the suitcases and keep them under the international travel weight limit. If I was there visiting with you, I'd take a few of those off your hands. :-D

Lisa Lynn said...

Faith, your kitchen is gorgeous. Love the cabinets and flooring - enjoy. What wonderful finds. So sorry about your husband's eyes hopefully he will be doing better. Take care.

Shirley Young said...

What a wonderful set of photos Faith, they must bring back a lot of memories. I hate to think what is in our loft but I know it could do with a clear out !! We had our kitchen replaced about 5 years ago and I swore that we would never do it again. They completely gutted it so for days all we had was a microwave and had to wash up in the garage. In the end of course it was worth it and I’m sure yours will be too. It was amazing some of the stuff that I found in the back of the kitchen cupboards some of which was well past the sell by date ! Hope your hubby is starting to feel better now, it sounds very painful. I suffer from dry eyes but fortunately drops keeps it under control xx

Linby said...

wow Faith you have unearthed some treasures, especially the painting. Hope all goes well with the refit.

Janet Packer said...

Fabulous finds Faith. Wishing you a smooth transition during the refit.

Anonymous said...

Hi Faith gee it sure is busy at your place,can't wait to see your new kitchen even though I love your old one. Boy what lovely finds you found,very interesting,hope your week is a good one my friend xx

MaryH said...

Best wishes to DH for his eye recovery. I can imagine this is so uncomfortable with the post op effects. Bless his heart, I expect he truly does not feel up to this chore. My hat's off to you for using the remodel to do something we ALL need to think about. (We got started a while back, got tired, and haven't gone back to the task). You've got a perfect reason to do it now! Your current kitchen looks light & airy, but you will love having a new kitchen. Hopefully you can design it to work just as you need it. You've found some treasures. If you can't keep the family 'precious things', perhaps you could donate to a museum that would appreciate (or to another family member who would treasure them). Good for you at using your lovely wedding presents. Why do we 'save' those things for another time? Guess we all do it. Good luck and we'll all be here when you have time to visit again. All of us get busy and get behind! Big hugs and enjoyed seeing your wonderful photos! TFS

Mia said...

I love your kitchen, Faith, and the floor is amazing. Good luck with the new kitchen, my friend. I love your finds. Your watercolour painting of your grandfather is simply FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! Kisses.

Liz said...

Thanks for sharing the photos, your loft sounds a bit like ours. So many years of dumping things up there when there's nowhere else to put them! Clearing our loft is something that is long overdue, thanks for the inspiration! xx

Martina said...

Faith, thank you for sharing personal moments from your life. I understand you appreciate your grandfather's work. Even my grandfather painted paintings. I wish you all good.